Hello, friends and family!
As most of you know from my facebook, I have made it safe and sound to Kenya! I was picked up last night at the Nairobi airport by Mike, Vicki, and Kyle Reynen. They have all been very kind and welcoming to me as I get settled in here. Last night, by the time I got my luggage and we navigated our way out of the airport traffic and arrived at the apartment, it was kind of late so we pretty much went right to bed after drinking some yummy fruit juice and taking a melatonin supplement to help me fall asleep. :)
I have a very nice room in the Reynen's apartment that I'll be living in until I come home. My bed is a very comfortable double bed and I have my very own bathroom! That was a great surprise! :) They also have a washing machine in the apartment that I will be able to use when I need it. This morning, I was able to sleep in and recoup from the long flight. (I only slept about 3 hours total on all my flights, and I hadn't slept well the night before I left because it was New Year's Eve and I was all nerved up for my upcoming journey.) Anyways, we had "brunch" and then I spent some time unpacking and organzing my room. Then, Vicki and I ran some errands- we went to buy phone credit for my Kenyan phone, get groceries, and exchange dollars to shillings at the bank. At the bank, I met a friend of Vicki's who works there. She was born here in Kenya but is ethnically Indian. She and I are planning to have coffee together and get to know each other during my time here. (Side note: There are 85ish shillings to one dollar, which makes converting prices or figuring out what I'm spending pretty difficult. But, I'll figure it out eventually!)
Be ready to be jealous: The outside temp is high 70s/low 80s and partly sunny!! :) So much better than Michigan. :) I actually wore Crocs without socks and sunglasses today!
Tomorrow, Vicki and I are meeting with Andrew, the head teacher (principal) of my school. We'll figure out exactly what my role will be and who/what I'll be teaching. I'm excited to meet with him and get some answers to more of what I'll be doing. Once I know, I'll be sure to let you all know, too! :)
Below are two pictures of my room: the bathroom :), and the bed. (I can't figure out how to do captions on the Ipad using the blogger app, any techie friends, if you know how to do that, let me know!)
Love,
Ashley


Glad to hear you arrived safely. You're in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteE & K Miller