Saturday, January 19, 2013

Carnivore

Tonight we had a great time at Carnivore! :)

Carnivore is a restaurant in Nairobi that serves pretty much only meat. They not only have great food, but a fun atmosphere as well. The meal starts with the servers brining out hot, eucalyptus scented towels for you to wash you hands with. Then, they bring little appetizers (corn on the cob, potatoes, salad) and then they bring out all-you-can-eat meat!!

When you first walk into the restaurant, you can smell the delicious meat roasting and you can see the giant, open fire pit where they roast everything. They servers bring the meat to the table on giant metal spears that they place right onto your plate to carve off a chunk of the meat.

Carnivore not only serves regular meat, but they also have things like ostrich, crocodile, and ox balls. (Yes, you read that right...haha). I tried everything! I liked the crocodile, but it had lots of bones, which I didn't like. I also ate lamb ribs, lamb meatballs, chicken, pork ribs and regular pork, turkey, and beef. I liked the turkey, chicken, and pork ribs the best. (Years ago, they used to serve wild game like zebra and gazelle, but that is illegal now.)

In the center of the tables, the servers placed a rotating tray with sauces for the meat. There was chili sauce, wild berry, mint, garlic, and tikka masala. My favorite was the mint (on the pork, especially), the wild berry on the turkey, and the garlic. The garlic was great because if you poured on enough of it, the meat taste of the more "gamey" meat (i.e., the lamb meatballs) was disguised. :)

For dessert, they have a choice of lots of delicious things and fabulous Kenyan coffee. I had vanilla ice cream, which sounds boring but it was soooo good. And, of course, I enjoyed a cup of coffee with hot milk.

The whole night was so enjoyable. We all rode together on one bus to get there. We spent the meal laughing and talking together as we ate. I, Kyle, Sarah (from the Kansas team) and two of the other missionary kids sat at one end of the table and we were joking that it was the "kids" table- we had a lot of fun together! The food was just part of the fun of being together and celebrating the US/Canada team's last night here.

When we got back, I skyped with my real family and then watched the first episode of the Sherlock Holmes tv show with my Kenyan "family" (Mike, Vickie, and Kyle).

There are just some nights where everything feels right, and tonight was one of those nights. :)

Love,
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Ashley, how did you like the ostrich? I had that one time in Grand Blanc and it was the best steak I ever had. Ox balls. How were they? Thanks again for posting and I can't wait to see some of your pictures when you get back to the States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil,
      The ostich was okay- it was in a meatball and so it was kind of spciy and sausage-tasting. The ox balls were shiny, smooth, and slightly smily...not my idea of a delicacy!

      I can't wait to share photos, too! I only have an Ipad here, not a computer, so I don't have a way to upload them and I don't take the Ipad out and about to take pics while I'm at school or anything. But, when I get home I'll be excited to share!

      -Ashley

      Delete
    2. That was supposed to say "slimy" not "smily"...dyslexic moment! Haha

      Delete
  2. You are a brave adventuresome eater. You get that from dad not from your salad loving mom.

    ReplyDelete