Saturday, December 29, 2012

Thoughts from Isaiah 61

Today, the YouVersion Bible app verse of the day was Isaiah 61. This Message version of this chapter of the Bible begins like this:

"The Spirit of God, the Master, is on me because God anointed me. He sent me to preach good news to the poor, heal the brokenhearted, announce freedom to all captives, pardon all prisoners. God sent me to announce the year of his grace- a celebration of God's destruction of our enemies- and to comfort all who mourn, to care for the needs of all who mourn in Zion, give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes, messages of joy instead of news of doom, a praising heart instead of a languid spirit..."

These verses were a major encouragement to me as I prepare to go to Kenya in 2 days. In the past year, I have often asked myself what my purpose is in going to Kenya. Why should I be sent to teach when there are plenty of people who are more highly skilled than me that could go in my place? Part of the answer to that question is answered in these verses. God has sent me- has sent all of us- to preach the good news to the poor and to heal the brokenhearted.

Will I encounter poor and brokenhearted kids in Kenya? Most definitely. But, would I also encounter poor, brokenhearted, "captive" kids if I stayed to teach here in the US? Of course. I am so thankful that this year I will get to experience teaching both locally in Flushing and abroad in Kenya!!

What I've come to realize is that God calls us to do different things for different seasons of our lives. My two months in Kenya will only be a drop in the bucket in terms of the larger plan God has going on in Kenya and the plan He is enacting through the people that live there all the time. But, I am humbled that God has chosen me to be part of this plan for even just a short time. I am excited to carry the love of God to all of the children I will encounter- I can't wait to help them learn more about Jesus, to heal broken hearts through love, to proclaim freedom through laughter, and to announce that this year, 2013, will be a year when God's goodness and grace will be felt in Kenya, in the United States, and in the rest of the world!

I leave you with this thought- take these first few verses of Isaiah 61 to heart in this coming year. Wherever God has placed you- in the mission field, in school, at work- proclaim the good news. Tell people about Jesus. Show people love. Through Jesus, help heal people's wounds and set them free from the things that imprison them. Be the hands and feet. This year, instead of making silly "get healthy" or "eat less" types of resolutions, vow to make a difference in the lives of those around you by bringing a message of joy to a world that so desperately needs to hear it!

-Ashley


1 comment:

  1. Ash, when your presence is felt, the brokenhearted are actually drawn to you because of the light you radiate. Your heart is so large, I feel it must be hard to carry it around in your svelte self. I pray that your journey is blessed with joy and the same kind of anguish that the Apostle Paul felt in his missionary journeys to provide the truth of salvation. The children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring will see the mercy of God through you. You will fight the good fight, finished your course whatever it be that God has planned for you. You will not come out without some signs of battle, but you will keep the faith. Wear your armor well as you will need it, but remember once it is on, it's the Lord's battle. He will fight for you, you just need to wear the armor. He will not forsake you. I'll be praying and awaiting your stories of triumph!

    ReplyDelete