I know this is probably hard for you readers in "snow-day" land to picture, but our school was SO hot today! I was literally sweating everywhere...the first thing I did when I got home was take a shower!
The classrooms are made out of cement walls and a tin roof, just like an oven, and when the sun comes down on the roofs, the rooms just cook with heat! Imagine taking all of the sun-heat and multiplying it with 35 twelve year olds packed onto small little benches right after they got done playing football...yeah, it was not a pretty sight or smell! lol
I decided to take a class picture today despite all of the heat. All the students but one were present and I had a few minutes to kill, so I thought it would be a good time. We decided to do the class picture inside, and man-oh-man was it hot! I was just about cooking in my skin, and so were the kids...but we shared a lot of laughs and, even though the picture quality did not turn out the best, I will treasure that class photo forever.
Other than the oppressive heat, today was a good day. For my lessons, we just went over the exams and answered questions about the problems students missed. After school, some of the girls and I were hanging out while I showed them pictures from our safari and they were acting so cute and funny. I started calling them my "dramatic girls" and they didn't know what dramatic was, so I explained it. They were laughing so much, and it was such a fun time. I actually started almost tearing up while we were hanging out because I have grown so attached to these girls...getting strongly attached to people is one of the biggest struggles I have with traveling because it makes leaving so hard! I can't believe I only have 9 days left with my little dears.
God has blessed me over and over through the kids. It truly has been a two-way relationship of mutual blessing. It's a beautiful thing how our cultures, languages, and skin colors have blended together into a classroom full to the brim with love and laughter, even in the midst of all our sweating through these hot days!
Love,
Ashley
I am literally sobbing thinking of you leaving these kids. I will pray for you to treasure the time but not to get weepy. I love you.
ReplyDelete