Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hello!


Hello friends,
Two precious children from Kawangware in Nairobi.

Thank you for reading this! This is my first blog and I appreciate you working with me through this process!

So...why start a blog now? Well, I am about to embark on a new and very exciting journey in my life. As most of you know, I will be graduating from Saginaw Valley State University in December with a degree in Elementary Education and Spanish, and an almost-endorsement in teaching English as a second language (I have to finish up a few more classes for that in the future). I have enjoyed every minute of my college experience, but this blog is to record the next adventure in my life! I am very excited to include YOU on this adventure and I hope you'll be my partner in prayer through this season!





International Childcare Ministries (ICCM) coordinator, Daniel
God has been teaching me a lot during the last several months. In December and January 2011-2012, I traveled to Kenya for GSI (Global Studies Intensive). GSI is an intense missions training course hosted by Free Methodist World Missions. Prior to GSI, my heart had already been opened to the people of Africa and I had long been praying for God to use me in a big way to serve him overseas. Well, during GSI my prayer was answered! Africa Area Directors Mike and Vickie Reynen, along with Kenyan Bishop Nixon Dingili and International Childcare coordinator Daniel, invited me to come back to Kenya to teach after I graduate!!! I prayed long and hard about this opportunity, and as God spoke to me through bible verses (Acts 1:8, Galatians 6:9, Isaiah 1:16-17, Micah 6:8, Matthew 25:37-45, to name a few) and the wisdom and support of those around me, I decided to answer God's call and step out in faith. I have agreed to teach in Nairobi, Kenya for 2 months, January-February 2013.  

Check back often for updates!

Thanks for reading!

Blessings, 
Ashley 

2 comments:

  1. Ashley!
    We are so excited for you! Can't wait to read your blog and follow you on your adventure! We are committed to praying for you and the kids you will be working with while you're there. Please let us know if you are planning to take anything with you for the kids...we would like be part of that. Know that you are loved and supported by the Schmidt family!!
    Greg & Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) It means a lot to know you're supporting me in prayer! I appreciate you!!! I'll definitely let you know if I need to take anything with me!

    ReplyDelete